The western half of Alumni Green will close early in the New Year to allow the contractor to get the site ready ahead of the excavation works.
The Green (outside Building 4, above the Multi-Purpose Sports Hall) will re-open for Semester 1, 2012 due to the completion of the Great Hall project. UTS is working on plans to improve this newly opened half of Alumni Green for students returning to campus in 2012.
Download a larger version of the above plan [PDF, 180kb]
WHAT’S HAPPENING ON ALUMNI GREEN?
- Western half of Alumni Green (outside Building 2 and opposite Building 10) end will be closed early 2012
- Eastern half of Alumni Green (outside Building 4) will open for 2012, some improvements to the eastern half are proposed for early 2012
- Whole of Alumni Green will re-open in end 2013/early 2014 when the major landscaping of the Green is scheduled to complete
WHEN DOES THE DIGGING START?
- Piling (drilling) work is scheduled to start around February 2012 (intermittent low-medium impact)
- Loose soil excavation underway by March 2012 (low-medium impact)
- Bulk (rock) excavation starts in March/April 2012 (highest impact)
- Construction works will start immediately after excavation is complete
KEEP THE NOISE DOWN!
- UTS is holding a project kickoff forum with all stakeholders before works start on site – details to follow early January 2012
- Excavation is the highest impact phase of the project but impact will lessen as the hole gets deeper
- Noise mitigation measures will be in place, especially for Building 2
- Building 2 will be exposed to the highest levels of noise/vibration during excavation
- Building 4 will experience noise and vibration, though not to the same degree as for past Alumni Green projects (Building 1 Ramp upgrade and Multi-Purpose Sports Hall)
- Building 10 will experience some noise and vibration with occupants being located at least 25 metres from the site
- Design for the Thomas Street Building is currently being developed in close consultation with the Faculty of Science, the building’s principal occupant
- UTS is about to appoint a supplier for the hardware at the heart of the Library Retrieval System
- Stay tuned for more updates on the design in early 2012