Integrated technology, polished concrete floors, bold colours and exposed finishes define the new-look teaching and learning spaces in Building 6.
The design by architects Gardner Wetherill creates a mixture of formal and informal teaching and learning spaces on levels 3 to 7 of the building's new podium extension. The podium was extended as part of the Student Housing Tower (Yura Mudang) construction.
The design was unveiled to principal users the Design, Architecture & Building Faculty (DAB) at a recent faculty forum.
Demoltion of most spaces is now complete, with construction due to commence in August.
THE DESIGN AT A GLANCE
- The design is driven by UTS's shift towards a mixture of formal and informal teaching and learning spaces, such as those in the recently completed Building 5 "Green Space"
- There is a wide variety of new facilities, ranging from large lecture theatres (or general teaching spaces) to small bookable group work areas
- Specialist facilities will service DAB students studying architecture, design and animation
- An "industrial chic" aesthetic drives the selection of materials and finishes
- The podium extension comprises some 5,950m² of new teaching and social spaces
- Construction is due to start in August 2011
- Completion is scheduled for February 2012
- Some DAB staff have had to relocate to accommodate the construction schedule
- There will be a closure of the central stair and lifts from 16 December 2011 to 30 January 2012 to allow for upgrade of the existing building's services
- UTS will provide a detailed construction program to all stakeholders prior to works starting on site
- UTS Staff can download the project overview, as presented to DAB [pdf, 5.9mb]
BUILDING 6 CAR PARK - TEMPORARY CLOSURE
- Please note the Building 6 car park will be closed for one day only on Saturday 13 August for line marking.
- Contact Project Manager Brandon Bell for more information
For more information, visit the project page on the Master Plan website.