The final stage of major work on Alumni Green is about to get underway, with excavation for both the Thomas Street and Library Retrieval System starting in December.
The western half of Alumni Green will close at the end of November to allow the contractor to get the site ready ahead of the excavation works.
Good news is that the eastern half of the Green (outside Building 4, above the Multi-Purpose Sports Hall) will re-open as planned in mid-November. The decommissioning of the tower crane currently used for construction of the Great Hall will make this opening possible.
UTS is currently reviewing plans to improve this newly opened half of Alumni Green by the start of Semester 1, 2012…Stay tuned for more details!
Download a larger version of the above plan [PDF, 196kb]
THE FUTURE OF THE GREEN
- Western half of Alumni Green (outside Building 2 and opposite Building 10) end will be closed from end November
- Eastern half of Alumni Green (outside Building 4) will re-open in mid-November
- Whole of Alumni Green will re-open in end 2013/early 2014 when the major landscaping of the Green is scheduled to complete
- Some small improvements to the eastern half are proposed for early 2012
WHEN DOES THE DIGGING START?
- Piling (drilling) work starts in December (intermittent low-medium impact)
- Loose soil excavation underway by Christmas 2011 (low-medium impact)
- Bulk (rock) excavation starts in February 2012 (highest impact) and should be complete by the start of Semester 2, 2012
- Construction works will start immediately after excavation is complete
KEEP THE NOISE DOWN!
- Excavation is the highest impact phase of the project but impact will lessen as the hole gets deeper
- Noise mitigation measures will be in place, especially to for Building 2
- Building 2 will be exposed to the highest levels of noise/vibration during excavation
- Building 4 will experience noise and vibration, though not to the same degree as for past Alumni Green projects (Building 1 Ramp upgrade and Multi-Purpose Sports Hall)
- Building 10 will experience some noise and vibration with occupants will be located at least 25 metres from the site
- UTS will hold a project kickoff forum with all stakeholders before works start on site
- Design for the Thomas Street Building is currently being developed in close consultation with the Faculty of Science, the building’s principal occupant
- UTS is about to appoint a supplier for the hardware at the heart of the Library Retrieval System
- Stay tuned for more updates on the design in early 2012