The last big hole on the UTS City Campus is getting deeper, with lots of activity on site. Digging is now about 4m below the original surface level of the Alumni Green, with significant amounts of topsoil already removed.
The bad news is that when all topsoil is removed (by end May), the noisiest phase will start: rock excavation. This will involve sawing and breaking up the underlying sandstone.
The (relatively) good news is that this phase of high impact works should be over in October, a shorter excavation period than for the Broadway Building and Multi-Purpose Sports Hall.
The contractors have also finished building new stairs from the Building 2 terrace onto Jones Street, restoring direct access for staff and students. The stairs are not only handy, it’s essential to Building 2’s fire evacuation plan!
BUILDING 2 SOUND ATTENUATION
- Double glazing will be installed for all of building’s Alumni-Green facing windows
- Installation starts weekend of 5/6 May with rooms on levels 5 and 7, and will continue for the entire building on the Alumni Green-facing side
- Doors and some of the smaller windows will receive an opaque treatment
- Acoustic treatment will reduce but not eliminate construction noise
- Occupants in Building 2 can expect some unusually high disruption in the week starting 7 May due to demolition of a concrete retaining wall that connects to the building (this will cause structure borne noise/vibration beyond usual levels)
THE FUTURE OF ALUMNI GREEN
- UTS will soon announce the results from the recent Alumni Green Design Competition, a vision of what Alumni Green will look like in 2014
- In just over two years, this site will house both the Thomas Street Building and Library Retrieval System, as well as the revitalised Alumni Green
STAY UP TO DATE
If you would like to receive weekly updates on the construction program, please subscribe by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
This is the best way to keep a handle on the construction work current and future.
If you have any questions or concerns about the project, please get in touch.